Jesse R. Binnall
717 King Street, Suite 300
Alexandria VA 22314
United States of America
Jesse R. Binnall is an experienced litigator whose work goes well beyond handling complicated federal civil and criminal litigation in courts throughout the country. Jesse’s practice also focuses on:
- Complex business and commercial litigation
- First Amendment and civil rights disputes
- Title IX litigation against colleges and universities
- White collar criminal defense
- Disputes between government contractors
- Federal investigations and prosecutions
- Defamation suits
- Resisting warrants and subpoenas on privacy grounds
- Conducting internal investigations for companies and representing individuals in these investigations
- Northern Virginia procedures and practice in the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia’s “Rocket Docket”
- Political law
- Parliamentary procedure and strategic meeting consulting
Aside from being a partner at Harvey & Binnall, he is also the president of Parliamentary Strategies, which is owned by the firm and provides parliamtery procedure and meeting strategy services to clients. He’s a certified professional parliamentarian, advising professional associations, political parties, candidates, and others on meeting procedure, bylaw drafting and interpretation, and other parliamentary matters. He also has a niche practice of providing procedural strategic advice to clients who have business to be decided at meetings and conventions. Indeed, He has served four presidential campaigns as a parliametary procedure strategy consultant.
When he takes on a new case, Jesse assumes it will go to court and prepares aggressively and thoroughly. Even though most disputes settle well before a trial date, his extensive preparation produces better outcomes for clients at a fee that reflects the value of the matter.
The media often seeks out Jesse to discuss law and technology issues. He has been quoted by the New York Times, Forbes, Wired and the Huffington Post, and appeared as a guest on DemocracyNow, the Ron Paul Channel and Lawyer2Laywer.
Jesse stays involved in a number of professional organizations. He is president of the Antonin Scalia Law School at George Mason University’s Alumni Association, a member of the Pegasus Scholar Committee of the American Inns of Court, and serves as Director and Senior Counsel for the American Institute for Law & Liberty.
Before going into private practice, he clerked for The Hon. Jonathan C. Thacher at the Circuit Court for Fairfax County, Virginia. When he’s not working, Jesse’s pastimes include flying — he is an avid private pilot – sailing and scuba diving, especially shark diving.
- Successfully represented an entrepreneur who overcame a freeze out attempt by a majority shareholder in a cyber-business in a multi-day trial
- Won a judgment and defeated a counterclaim on behalf of a sales executive who obtained over $300,000,000 in contracts for a defense contractor but was not paid his full commissions
- Won a defense award in a contract dispute for a website development company at a multi-day arbitration before the American Arbitration Association (AAA)
- Represented a presidential campaign executive in two federal criminal trials, which resulted in a favorable result
- Represented an email provider in resisting gag orders and overbroad warrants for encryption keys
- Represented a small business in litigation with its previous accountants in a professional malpractice case that resulted in a favorable settlement
- Represented an investor in a real estate business in litigation with her partner that resulted in a favorable settlement
- Served as parliamentarian to four presidential campaigns
*Every case is unique and previous results do not predict or guaranty similar results in other cases.
- Bronley & Binnall, PLLC – Fairfax, Virginia
- Fairfax County Circuit Court – Fairfax, VA
Law Clerk to the Hon. Jonathan C. Thacher, 2009-2010
Honors and Service
- Selected as a “Rising Star” by Super Lawyers in 2016 and 2017. This distinction was awarded to no more than 2% of Virginia lawyers.
- Rated “Superb” with a score of 10 out of 10 by Avvo.com
- President, Alumni Association, Antonin Scalia Law School at George Mason University
- Director and Senior Counsel, American Institute for Law and Liberty
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit
- United States District Court for the District of Columbia
- United States District Court for the District of Idaho
- United States District Court for the Southern District of Texas
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
- United States District Court for the Western District of Virginia
- United States Bankruptcy Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
- George Mason University, B.A., Communications
- Antonin Scalia Law School at George Mason University School of Law, J.D.
- DOJ Intensifies Focus on Healthcare Fraud
- What is Title IX and How Does It Affect Your Son or Daughter?
- Restrictive Covenants and Blue Pencils: A Shifting Landscape
- Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) – Litigation or Arbitration
- Civil Appeals in the Supreme Court of Virginia
- Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) – Why Mediate? I want to win!
- Understanding Calendar Control in Fairfax County Circuit Court
- Does Your City or State’s Sign Regulations Violate the Constitution?
- Expert Witnesses
- Motions Practice in the Rocket Docket
- Binnall addresses National 8a Association on Teaming Agreements
- Speaking Engagements – Binnall Addresses Republican National Lawyers Association
- 6th Circuit: Accused Student Entitled to Confront Witnesses in Disciplinary Proceeding
- Business and Commercial Disputes – H&B Wins Unjust Enrichment Case, Defeats Counterclaim